Friday, May 2, 2008

Public Safety Officers Come to the Aid of Roosevelt Island Resident

Image from RIOC

Roosevelt Island Public Safety Director Keith Guerra forwards the following appreciative message from a Roosevelt Island resident regarding assistance provided by Public Safety Officers:
On the morning of April 8 I took a very hard fall while jogging around the island. I was dazed and bleeding and had suffered a fracture. Lucky for me Officer Jasmine Walker, who was off-duty, saw me fall and came to my aid by calling EMS & Island Public Safety. She stayed with
me until help arrived.

In addition, another female PS Officer kindly allowed me to sit in her vehicle until the ambulance arrived. I'm sorry, I don't know her name.

Both Officers should be commended, especially Officer Walker who
unselfishly gave her up own time to assist me.
Good job by these officers. From the RIOC Public Safety Department:
If you need to report a crime or need assistance, you may call Public Safety at 212-832-4545. Also, the New York City Police Department has installed eight solar-powered yellow emergency call boxes on poles around the Island for immediate communication with NYPD. For life-threatening fire, police or ambulance emergency assistance, call 911.

Responding to emergency calls is an important part of Public Safety’s duties. When an emergency call comes in, we will immediately contact 911, before Public Safety officers respond. But because we can get to the scene immediately, our officers often handle incidents ranging from verbal disputes to physical assaults. All officers have training in recognizing and dealing with domestic disputes and violence. When the law is broken, we are obliged to make a report to the police; they in turn, will take action.
The entire 24 hour Roosevelt Island Public Safety reports from January 1, 2008 through May 1, 2008 are available here.

0 comments :