Monday, July 26, 2010

Low Flying Plane Over Roosevelt Island Barely Makes it Over Queensboro Bridge This Morning - Is That Normal?

Image of Queensboro Bridge

Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. (RIOC) Director Jonathan Kalkin tweeted this morning:
Anyone else see a small plane almost hit the Queensboro bridge while flying over Roosevelt Island 1 hour ago
Mr. Kalkin adds:
I was facing the bridge near the tram station and saw the small plane flying toward the lower level of the Queensboro bridge over Roosevelt Island. At the last second it went up and over it. It barely made it over. I don't know if that is normal, but it seemed very close.
I did not see the low flying plane today but I frequently do see seaplanes flying pretty low and close to the Queensboro Bridge and Riverwalk Buildings.

Here's a 2009 You Tube Video of a plane flying over Roosevelt Island and landing in the East River

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Low flying aircraft nearly hitting QB Bridge ???? !!!! Not so rare as you think.
Usually they are sea planes taking off from middle east side; sometimes they are helicopters, but there seems to be a definite increase in low-flying seaplane traffic over the bridge AND over Roosevelt Island. Calling the FAA occasionally has helped. My understanding is that there is to be no flying directly over the Island -- ha, ha -- and I guess we learned nothing from the Cory Lytle disaster a few years ago.
Please call the FAA when you see these things -- I believe there are rules about private and commercial air traffic over the East River and its channels.

Pastormasa said...

Yes my son called me a few minutes ago from Manhattan to tell me he saw a small plane flying low. He said the a few minutes later there were several NYPD helicopters in the area.