Tuesday, June 28, 2011

AM New York Reports on Patient Life Inside Roosevelt Island's Coler Goldwater Hospital and Attempts To Get Out and Live Independently

Image of Coler Goldwater Hospital Patient From AM New York Via RJ Mickelson

AM New York reports on what life is like for some patients at Roosevelt Island's Coler Goldwater Hospital and the attempt by others to obtain independent living outside of the hospital:
Robbie Cunningham would like to live independently but sees no way to get out of the Coler-Goldwater Specialty Hospital & Nursing Facility, his home for the past four years. “I’m not sick,” he said. “I’m a quadraplegic."

In the nursing home, he explained, “I have tremendous constraints on what I can do. I would like to choose what kind of food I eat, when I eat and when I go to bed.”

Cunningham, 52, feels safe at Coler, a sprawling Roosevelt Island facility, but he doesn’t feel free. “As long as I’m alive, I want to keep moving,” said the Manhattan makeup artist, who was paralyzed from the neck down in a diving accident seven years ago....
Click here for the whole AM New York article.

The Goldwater campus of the Hospital will be closing in several years and is being sought after by Stanford University as a site for an applied sciences and Engineering School.

More on Coler Goldwater Hospital patients from earlier posts.

0 comments :