Has Roosevelt Island Operating Corp Board Been Lax In Duty Of Monitoring And Oversight Of RIOC - Directors Discuss Issue, What's Going On? Full RIOC Board Meeting Later Tonight
During January 9 Roosevelt Island Operating Corp (RIOC) Operations Committee meeting discussion (full audio webcast of meeting is here) on awarding a contract for the Steel Boat Restoration Project, RIOC Director Michael Shinozaki asked a question that made me and others in attendance think "WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT"? Mr. Shinozaki asked:
... all things considered given recent events are we 100% confident this contractor and their employees in no way shape or form have any form of relationship with anyone currently working on the Island or employee of RIOC in any way shape or form whatsoever....RIOC Director of Engineering Alex Snedkov replied that in his department nobody has any relationship with this contractor or any contractor.
RIOC Director David Kraut said there is no reason in the world to assume there is any relationship.
Here's the exchange.
A few minutes later Acting RIOC President Donald Lewis responded to Mr. Shinozaki's question saying:
we have considered those issues... we are being mindful of that... that stuff has been looked into...
Later, Mr. Shinozaki added that:
... the Board has not been providing correct oversight of the Corporation...which Mr. Kraut agreed with but RIOC Director Margie Smith did not.
Given the recent management upheavals at RIOC, I asked what the recent events alluded to during the discussion was all about but received no comment from Mr. Shinozaki, other Board members and RIOC staff present.
My question incorrectly referenced the RIOC board. I should have asked about RIOC employees and anyone working on the Island.
The full audio web cast of January 9 RIOC Operations Committee meeting is here.
The RIOC Board of Directors will be meeting later today. Here's the Agenda:
AGENDAA web cast of the RIOC Board meeting will be available soon thereafter.
JANUARY 17, 2013 MEETING OF
THE ROOSEVELT ISLAND OPERATING CORPORATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
THE MANHATTAN PARK COMMUNITY CENTER,
8 RIVER ROAD, ROOSEVELT ISLAND, NEW YORK
I. Call to Order
II. Roll Call
III. Approval of Minutes
1. December 20, 2012 Board Meeting (Board Action Required)
IV. Old Business
V. New Business
1. Presentation of the FY 2012-2013 QTR 3 Procurement Report
2. Authorization of Modification of the Schedule of the 2013 Meetings of the Roosevelt Island Operating
Corporation Board of Directors (Board Action Required)
3. Authorization to Enter into the Fourth Amendment of the Southtown Development Agreement
(Board Action Required)
4. Approval of Change Order to Contract with Scientific Electric Company, Inc. for Lighthouse Park Electric &
Lighting Restoration Project (Board Action Required)
5. Approval of Change Order to Contract with Meli Contracting Co. Inc. for Restoration of the Steel Boat
Sculpture (Board Action Required)
6. Ratification of Contract with Quintal Contracting Corp. for the AVAC Piping Repairs
(Materials to Follow - Board Action Required)
7. Authorization to Enter into Contract with Steve Di Sisto General Contractors, Inc. for Resetting of Z-Brick
Pavers (Board Action Required)
8. Authorization to Enter into Contract with Shawn Construction, Inc. for the 504 Main Street Interior Demolition
Project (Board Action Required)
9. President's Report
10. Committee Reports
a. Audit Committee
b. Governance Committee
c. Operations Advisory Committee
d. Real Estate Development Advisory Committee
11. Public Safety Report
The RIOC Board Meeting will commence following a public comment period. The public comment period is not part of the meeting.