Follow Roosevelt Islander On:




Wednesday, January 15, 2014

No Roosevelt Island F Train Service This Morning Due To Water Main Break At West 4th Street

According to this 6:41 A.M. Advisory From the Roosevelt Island Operating Corp (RIOC):

Please be advised due to a water main break on 14th street there is presently no F train service.


Roosevelt Island Operating Corp Advisories Group
At about 7:45 AM the Roosevelt Island Subway Booth Attendant told me that there were still no F Train service but that the M train was running with delays and stopping at Roosevelt Island.

The Tram was not overly crowded at 8 AM.

The MTA Tweets:

Latest updates available at the MTA Service Status Page.

UPDATE 8:45 AM - A resident reports:
... there are no F trains this morning leaving RI for Manhattan. The bus drivers are not announcing it. The Tram is packed...
I asked the reader:
What time were you at the tram?
The reader responded at 8:38 AM:
8:15 am and I just crossed now.
UPDATE 2:30 PM - According to the MTA:
Service Restored After Water Main Break

An early morning water main break at 13 St and 5 Av in Greenwich village flooded subway tunnels servicing the A, B, C, D, F and M lines with thousands of gallons of water causing service disruptions into the morning peak period affecting tens of thousands of subway riders.

The break occurred shortly before 1:00 a.m. Press reports indicated that the 36-inch cast iron main that ruptured dates back to before 1900. NYC Transit personnel were “at the ready” and once the water was contained at approximately 5:30 a.m., they got to work.

Two pump trains were dispatched but were not needed. A pump room located at 9 St as well as portable pumps that were positioned into the area were able to pump water that had risen 24-30 inches along 300 feet of track north of the West 4 St station. Drains along the tracks were able to absorb much of the water that had entered the system. The drains performed well as a result of the attention they have received during FASTRACK work along that corridor.

Workers then sprang into action to clear muck and debris from the tracks, assess damage, and make necessary repairs. After test trains ran through the area, full service was restored around 10:25 a.m.