Tuesday, January 27, 2015

NYC Spared From Worst Of Blizzard - Roosevelt Island Tram And Red Bus Service Restored At 9 AM, F Train Operating On Sunday Basis

The NY Times reports:
After New York City was shut down overnight, with subway service suspended for snow for the first time in its history, it was spared the worst of a snowstorm that swept across the Northeast early Tuesday. As travel bans were lifted and transit services gradually restored, the city slowly returned to its normal rhythms....
According to the Roosevelt Island Operating Corp (RIOC):
Notification issued 1/27/2015 at 9:15 AM. As of 9:00 AM, Red Bus and Tram service has been restored and are scheduled to run every 15 minutes.

The MTA has advised that all subway and bus service is being gradually restored and will run on a Sunday schedule until further notice. Service is extremely limited; expect extensive delays.

Please remain cautious; travel only when necessary and check in on your elderly and/or disabled neighbors.
Governor Cuomo announced this morning:
... MTA buses and subways will begin to resume this morning and by 12:00 p.m. will be operating on a Sunday schedule for the rest of the day and will resume normal service on Wednesday.

Roads and Bridges

The travel ban for all state and local roads has been lifted. Drivers should continue to use extreme caution and prepare properly as driving conditions remain poor and other states still may have travel bans in effect....
The Queensboro Bridge last night was empty of vehicles.


CheshireKitty said...

Here's the link that brings you directly to the DOB page for Trellis; ten click on permits - 3rd item down in the list of items on the lower right hand side of the page. http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?requestid=6&bin=1084704&restore=1

Permits were issued for the renovation since September 2014, with the most recent issued last month.

The process is taking a long time. Obviously, now there really is a concrete reason for the delay (the problem with the wall). Maybe the contractor is just proceeding very slowly and carefully with the work.

However, given the history of empty store-fronts on Main St (and, actually elsewhere in the City as well) that have stayed empty year after year, I hope the owner has not given up on the project - as being too costly etc., not worth the money invested in terms of how much money is made at that location.

Either way, I hope it's not left as a perpetual plywood shed. Maybe someone else could take over the property if the Trellis owners don't wish to continue.

RooseveltIslander said...

Hudson Related rep said that neither H-R, Trellis or Island House owner knew about the structural wall before demolition began during RIOC Real Estate committee meeting earlier tonight.

Will have video of whole meeting posted soon.