Roosevelt Island Marlins Swim Team Head Coach Reports On Past Season - Hard Work Results In Medals, Ribbons & Personal Best Times
Image From RI Marlins
Michael Gavrilchin, the Head Coach of the Roosevelt Island Marlins Swim Team
shares these pictures and reports on the past 2015-16 season. According to Coach Gavrilchin:
Roosevelt Island Swim Team (RIST) finished 2015/16 short course season strong, placing among top teams at all three major Metro Championships.The Roosevelt Island Marlins train at the Sportspark pool. More information on the Roosevelt Island Marlins Swim Team, including how you can join, available at their web site.
First, RIST swimmers participated in 2016 Metropolitan Silvers Championship held February 27-28 at Lehman College NY. Among 33 Metro teams (more than 600 swimmers that qualified) Roosevelt Islanders dominated in multiple individual events bringing a full sack of medals and ribbons back home!
We congratulate and applaud:
In March, our 8&Under age group represented Roosevelt Island Swim Team at 2016 8&Under Metropolitan Swimming Championship in West Nyack, NY. Out of 47 participating teams Roosevelt Island Marlins captured 12th place overall scoring in individual races!
- Milos Ciric – personal best times, 100 Fly JO’s q (qualifying for Junior Olympics)!
- Freddy Coronel – personal best!
- Matteo Coullare – personal best!
- Emir Emre – 1st place 50 Fly , club record, personal best, Zone Q (qualifying for Eastern Zone Championship)!
- Mira Goodman – personal best!
- Katarina Grozdanic – 1st place 100 Free, 1st place 100 Breast, 3 place 200 Breast, 100 backstroke club record, all personal best times!
- Nicholas Gusita – personal best!
- Strahinja Maslo – 1st place 50 Back, 2nd place 50 Breast, 3rd place 100 Back, 1st place 50 Free, multiple Jo’s Q times!
- Denys Mialkovskyi – personal best times!
- Erika Nazarova – great performance!
- Matija Prokic, 3rd Place 200 Breast, club record, personal best times!
- Sophia Shchuchinov – 5 club records with some Zone Q times in 100 Free - 1st place, 50 Back, 200 Back, 50 Fly – 2nd place, 200 Free – 3rd place!
- Maksim Tesovic – 1st Place 200IM ZQ time and club record! All personal best!
Main contributor to this high score is Timur Shchuchinov who won Highest Points Award Trophy becoming Absolute Champion in 6&Under Boys Division!
We congratulate and applaud:
By building strong foundation in 8&Under division our team builds the future, “stepping stones to swimming excellence”.
- Milica Grozdanic – multiple personal best times in 25 Back, 25 Fly, 50 Free
- Tamara Tesovic – multiple personal best times in 25 Back, 25 Fly, 50 Breast, 100 IM, 50 Back, 50 Freestyle
- Timur Shchuchinov – Highest Points award trophy, 1st Place in 50 Freestyle, 25 Backstroke, 25 Freestyle, 25 Breaststroke, 2nd place in 50 Backstroke, 4rd place in 50 Breaststroke!
- Ian Remor – multiple personal best times 25 Back, 50 Breast, 25 Free, 100 IM, 50 Back,
- Denys Mialkovskyi – 2nd Place in 50 Backstroke with New Club Record! 5th Place in 50 Fly, 6th Place in 25 Backstroke with New Club Record! Multiple personal best in 100 Free, 25 Fly, 50 Free!
Finally, on March 11-13 at Eisenhower Aquatic Center, East Meadows, NY the biggest events of 2016 - Junior Olympics Swimming Championship - turned out to be successful for Roosevelt Island Swim Team! This year we brought 11 swimmers that qualified in individual or relay disciplines and have competed against swimmers from over 70 Metro Teams. Our boys and girls demonstrated character and great swim skills, which allowed them to capture top places, set new records and personal best times! Marlins also had very strong relays, Boys 10&Under getting 11th place and girls 29th place respectively from over 40 teams.
We congratulate and applaud:
- Milos Ciric – best time 50 Free
- Emir Emre – competed in 9 individual events, set team records, personal best times and was part of the relay 11th place
- Denys Myalkovskyi – personal best in the relay!
- Katarina Grozdanic – competed in 2 individual events, set new club record in 50 Free, and was part of the 3 relays
- Elena Jordan – personal best times in relays
- Kelsey Long – personal best times in relays
- Strahinja Maslo – had strong performances in 3 individual events and was part of the relay 11th place
- Matija Prokic – personal best time in 100 Breast
- Andrew Zubac – personal best time in 50 Free
- Maksim Tesovic – competed in 9 events, 9th place in 100 Back, 9th place in 50 free, multiple record breaker, 11th place in relay
- Sophia Shchuchinov – 2016 Junior Olympics Finalist 11-12 200 Breaststroke 5th place with new club record, 100 Breaststroke Finalist overall 12th place. She also competed in other 7 individual events and 3 relays setting multiple club records.
Again, I congratulate families, swimmers and coaches with amazing results this season. This success is not just given; it was earned through sweaty drylands, rigorous sets in the water and consistent desire to take every opportunity to become better.
I’m very proud and happy of what we have done this season! Special thanks go to Coach Kris who joined us this season and accomplished every task and goal that was envisioned in the beginning. By putting his energy, enthusiasm and mastery of stroke correction he amplified our Juniors group performance and strength, motivating them and showing them path to fast results.
I have no doubts if they continue working hard, success is inevitable in upcoming seasons! Finally I would like to thank every parent for being part of this very time consuming sport, working collaboratively with coaches, attending long hours swim meets, supporting kids, celebrating loud when kids succeed and comforting them when they fail but encourage not to give up, teaching them to be patient. Thank you all!