Monday, November 11, 2019

Congratulations To Roosevelt Island Resident Dimaura Cole Finishing NYC Marathon On Behalf Of The Girl Scouts Last Sunday - She Describes Her Motivation, Preparation And Experience As First Time Marathon Runner

Roosevelt Island resident Dimaura Cole ran


and finished


her first NYC Marathon last Sunday.


Congratulations!!!!!

Ms Cole describes her motivation, preparation and experience running the 2019 NYC Marathon and looks forward to running in the 2020 NYC Marathon too. According to Ms Cole:
Running the marathon was a long term goal. Last summer, I met Nosipho Dhladhla she was training for the marathon and I was inspired as a result.

As a volunteer Girl Scout leader, the marathon became more meaningful when I was given the opportunity to run on behalf of the Girl Scouts.

Girl Scouts teaches girls, confidence, courage but more importantly character.  It’s exciting to support an organization with a mission to make the world a better place. This was a cause bigger than myself and it was important for my daughters who are Girl Scouts to witness the process.

I am a NEW runner and I trained for six months. Most of my training was done on the Roosevelt Island running around the beautiful promenade enjoying the breathtaking views of LIC and Manhattan skyline.

I also ran for 8 consecutive Wednesday in  Astoria Park for an hour from 6:30am to 7:30am.

I ran a total of 10 registered races with New York Road Runners (NYRR), 3 half marathons, one 18 miles, one 12 mile, and the TCS NYC marathon as a result now I am qualified for the 2020 NYC marathon.

I ran numerous virtual races which required enormous commitment because despite feeling tired or dealing with setbacks, it was important to push forward.

I had to learn about fueling while running and how often to fuel.  I experienced digestive problems while running and it was due to eating too soon,  the wrong food or not emptying before the race.

Wearing the right sneaker was a hard lesson learned. My toes have suffered as a result.  Learning to pace myself was challenging as I would run too fast at the beginning and burn out at the end.

I don’t have a gym membership, and that affected my training because it lacked cross training which is less strenuous on the knees and legs.  I did have access to the gym at the hotels when I traveled which was helpful.

I travel for a living which can be dehydrating. I had to hydrate twice as much. Some days I felt extremely tired and I had to remind myself that I was flying and running which increased dehydration.

Towards the end of my training, I had the privilege of meeting former Marathoner and Roosevelt Island resident Antonio Gonzalez who provider vital training tips, and although I couldn’t apply many of his recommendations for this marathon, I will be able to apply them for the 2020 50th anniversary Marathon.

Running the marathon was an amazing experience.  I enjoying running in all the boroughs giving Hi Fives to children and adults. Watching the abundance of smiling faces cheering loudly and excitedly was exhilarating. Seeing my family during the race was like fuel to soul. It regenerated and re-energized my spirit.

Overall,  the marathon training was an arduous journey and a balancing act.   It was well worth it and I am looking forward to next’s year marathon.

I am happy that I’ve inspired others not only to run, but to run for a cause that’s bigger than themselves.

To achieve a goal, is to feel accomplished!

I have a Gofundme page fundraising on behalf of the Girl Scouts.  Please support and share.

This is the campaign for Girl Scouts of Greater New York NYC 2019 (Dee Cole):

Thank you for reading,

0 comments :