Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Kayak Marathon Race Around Manhattan



The New York City Marathon is this Sunday, November 4 and takes the runners through all five boroughs. Several weeks ago there was another New York City Marathon, but this one was on water, a 27 mile circumnavigation around Manhattan. A participant in the October 14 Mayor's Cup New York City Kayak Championship, writes in today's NY Times:

As I dug my carbon-fiber paddle into the chaotic dark water, waves crashed over the bow of my yellow surf ski. My upper back winced and my hands throbbed from fighting a honking west wind and whopping wakes from the Staten Island Ferry. Lady Liberty glistened in the distance.
Paddling through the East River's treacherous Hell's Gate near Roosevelt Island:
Hell Gate was nearby and I was petrified. Last year’s swells were reportedly “huge.” Eleanor Roosevelt had said, “Do one thing every day that scares you.” This would surely fill my quota.

The water turned turbulent as I passed Mill Rock, and my heart thumped with anticipation. But it calmed just as quickly. Hell Gate was a dud this year. No complaints here.

Finally,
Cheering people lined railings along Battery Park City. I felt like a fish in a fishbowl. Their encouragement energized me, but I feared tipping if I showed gratitude. What could be deemed the longest mile finally ended as I took my last dozen strokes into the marina, clocking 4:50:18. Now it was I who was cheering.

Dragging my stiff, waterlogged body onto the pier, I felt elated and a little extra love for New York City.
Video is not from the race. It is of the East River currents adjacent to Roosevelt Island.
You Tube link is here.

1 comments :

k k said...

I still remember 
Mayor's Cup New York City Kayak Championship.
my car electronics