Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Searching For the Great Buffalo Chicken Wing Recipe at Nonno's On Roosevelt Island!



A reader of this post sends along a review of Nonnos and the following suggestion for Roosevelt Island Buffalo Wings:
The delivery service is good when there is a manager or owner taking the calls. Otherwise the delivery service is near poor.

The pizza is ok, not great, but ok.

The wings are NOT good. They bread the wings which makes them soggy. Here is my suggestion for original buffalo chicken wings (I'm from Buffalo)
-deep fry the wings until medium-dark golden crisp(don't mess them up with breading or seasoning before frying etc.)

-when finished frying toss the wings in a mixture of 1/2 butter and 1/2 Durkee Brand- Frank's Red Hot Sauce (this is the only sauce used in making original wings).

note: increase the amount of frank's sauce to turn up the heat! Offer mild, medium or hot. Don't just fry the wings and serve the sauce on the side. That's lame and not how it is done.

-deliver in cardboard packaging NOT plastic. Plastic packaging will make the wings soggy.

-please offer straight blue cheese dressing not the "hidden valley ranch" style that is really ranch dressing with a few chunks of blue cheese in it-that's crap!

Practice a few batches and you'll have the hang of it in no time.

PS. I'm hoping that the owner's of Nonno's will read this.
The owners of Nonno's have read your suggestion. I spoke with Jack who told me that when they first opened last January, cardboard packaging was used for their food delivery and they would prefer to continue doing so again even though it is much more expensive. However, their distributor no longer carries cardboard packaging and they have been unable to find any other source.

As for your sauce, I think they will experiment with it. Next time your in Nonno's, say Hi to Jack and ask about your chicken wing recipe.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

We'll never order from Nonno's again. For the last time (2 times total) our order was forgotten. This last time, I called to check the status of my order. The young woman that answered the phone did not listen to me (she talked over me) then someone named Alfonso took the call. He apologized for the error and took my order again. Fine, I thought he'll fix the mistake. When the order arrived the pizza was smashed; I did not accept the order.

The staff of Nonno's will kill the owner's business even if they are the only place on the Island. There are other pizza delivery options off the Island.

Anonymous said...

I agree, the staff is hurting the business. They take their sweet time to pay attention to the customers, specially last time when they were getting "free" drinks from Starbucks. Be careful, the guy at the register with the "blonde" hair overcharges, probably he thought I would not notice but I knew because I had bought the same order few times and I know how much I supposed to pay. I wonder who keeps the extra money? Their pizza is not a big deal is just that it was convenient. I will not go back.