Friday, December 11, 2009

No Queens Bound F Train Service To Roosevelt Island This Weekend/ Accident On Subway Escalator -Why Not Email the F Train Line Manager?


You Tube Video of F Train Arriving At Roosevelt Island Subway Station

It seems as though the last several days have been all about the MTA and Roosevelt Island F Train subway service. Today is no different.

Here we go again.

Be aware that there will be no Queens Bound F Train Subway Service from Roosevelt Island beginning 12 AM Saturday until 5 AM Monday this weekend. According to the MTA:
F Jamaica-bound trains run on the V from 47-50 Sts to Roosevelt Av

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Dec 12 - 14

,,, For service to Roosevelt Island and 21 St-Queensbridge, take the F to Roosevelt Av and transfer to a Coney-Island bound F.
RIOC advises:
F-Train Advisory

Please note the following planned service disruption on the F line:

Northbound F via 53rd St from 0001 Sat, Dec 12 to 0500 Mon, Dec 14. No northbound trains at Roosevelt Island.

The Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. will operate the Tram and Bus Service throughout the service disruption.
In addition to the disruption in Roosevelt Island subway service difficulties, problems with Roosevelt Island's brand new escalators occurred this week.

Roosevelt Island Escalators
A reader reports:
This week alone there have been two accidents involving the escalator at the F train station at Roosevelt island. The first accident was during the heavy rain on Wednesday (12/09/09 aprox: 9:35am). The floor was very slick with water and I was super careful, walked slowly and held on to the rail on the escalator. I was also wearing rubber soled shoes. None of that mattered. I took one careful step forward, still holding on, and slipped and landed on both shins. Lucky for me nothing was broken, but I have heavy bruising on both shins and the right shin has a gouge in it. It makes walking very difficult. I had to get to work and figured by the time actually managed to stagger back upstairs to complain I'd get the brush off and also get yelled at when I got to work.

The second accident was this morning (12/11/09 aprox: 9:25 am). A couple was just ahead of me and my husband on the escalator heading down to the train. They rode it down instead of walking down. On the second escalator, close to the bottom, the man's jacket got snagged on a part of the escalator because 2 entire panels were missing, exposing the inside of the escalator. He got yanked back, tried to free himself and ended up having to walk up the escalator as he worked his jacket free. If that happened to an older person, they could have gotten seriously hurt.

I'm not really sure if the MTA will give a crap, they had me on perpetual hold and don't have an email address that one can find easily to report this stuff. But I figured alot of people read your blog, and someone should know that the station is unsafe. By the way, that little yellow caution sign does nothing if they don't mop the floors once in a while....
Here is the MTA's Elevator and Escalator Status Page for Roosevelt Island. Interesting that the MTA states on this page that the Roosevelt Island subway station is in Queens and not Manhattan.

I did find a MTA web page that says you can email the Subway Line General Manager including the one for Roosevelt Island. Perhaps Roosevelt Island residents unhappy with F line subway service could email the F line manager and see if it works. If you do, please send me a copy as well.

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I was out in Manhattan with some friends and I got off from Lower East Side at 215am (Saturday). I arrived at my place at 355am due to the fact that there was no official notice of the Queens bound F train not working when I left for Manhattan on Friday morning, neither was any announcement in the train, so I had to get off at Lexington, ask there what should I do, and then go all the way to Roosevelt Avenue, get off, take the Manhattan bound F train and spend a total of one hour and a half waiting in train stations and travelling.