Monday, February 28, 2011

Uncle Jim Brings Wheelchair Basketball To Roosevelt Island's Sportspark - Enabled People With A Disability Who Can Do Everything Other People Do But Just A Little Bit Different

 Roosevelt Island Wheelchair Basketball Image From Damiano Beltrami of Huffington Post

The Huffington Post reported today on our very own "Uncle" Jim Bates, the President of the Roosevelt Island Disabled Association (RIDA), and his efforts to bring Wheelchair Basketball to Roosevelt Island's Sportspark facility.

The Huffington Post reports:
Jim Bates, president of the Roosevelt Island Disabled Association, is stretching the shoe-string budget of his small, nonprofit organization to create a wheelchair basketball team on Roosevelt Island, where several hundred disabled people live.

"These guys deserve to show their skills, and they need competition to get better," said Bates, a determined and proactive 67-year-old Vietnam era veteran, who goes by the nickname of Uncle Jim. "Am I going to be the coach? Well, why not?"...
As Mr. Bates says in the video below, disabled people:
... can do everything other people can do - just a little bit different.



More on Roosevelt Island Wheelchair Basketball from this previous post.
Every Saturday from 10AM to 1PM Sportspark Gym at 250 Main St will be open to all Wheelchair Basketball players.

For more information contact unclejim at 212 731-2547

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic - kudos to Uncle Jim & the players!

Anonymous said...

My son and I met Uncle Jim in the Sportspark pool soon after our arrival on Roosevelt Island. We had a long chat and I could tell he was a champion of a cause. He even asked me if I'd like to drive a senior citizen's bus. Well, I couldn't do that but appreciated the offer. I have since learned what a remarkable gentleman he is. The work through RIDA is exceptional - - the wheelchair basketball program is but one example. BRAVO Uncle Jim!!!!

Lind001 said...

We must bring empowerment in sports for disabled persons!. Lets promote other sports for disabled persons!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I know this is kinԁa off tοpiс howeveг
, I'd figured I'd ask. Wоuld you bе іnterested іn exсhanging lіnks or maybe guest writing a blog агticlе or vice-versa?
Μу blog coveгѕ a lot οf
the samе ѕubjects аs уοuгs and I think we could greatly benefit fгom
eaсh othеr. If yοu're interested feel free to send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!

Here is my blog: raspberry ketones