Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Roosevelt Island Subway Fruit Stand Has Returned To Southtown Today- Spring Can't Be Too Far Away Now

 Southtown Fruit Stand Has Returned Today!

Forget about whether any Groundhog can predict the start of spring. On Roosevelt Island, the first sign of spring 2011 is the return of the Subway Fruit Stand in Southtown which has been absent for the Winter. 

I am pleased to report that as I was exiting the subway minutes ago, I saw that the Fruit Stand is back in business. The next sign will be the outdoor tables at Riverwalk Bar & Grill, Fuji East, Nonno's, Starbucks and Trellis.

Hope I am not jinxing anything and we end up with a big March Snowstorm.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yes, I noticed an Italian wine bar on the Upper East Side had set up outdoor tables this evening - a sure sign of warmer weather to come!

Anonymous said...

The best thing about the fruit stand is that is provides a normal NYC amenity to this dismal housing project.

Anonymous said...

To the poster above, if you are so unhappy in what you call a housing project...then MOVE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

To poster @4:51 - Agreed. Is it the most dismal project though? Think of other projects such as Coop City, or Starrett City - they are on the fringes of the 5 boroughs. At least RI is close to Manhattan.. so near, yet so far. We do not have the texture of the regular city streets, not even the texture of a street in LIC or Astoria, none of the grittiness or variety or interest. Has any thought ever been given to filling in the E. Channel since it's rarely used for river traffic anyway? An enormous amount of new real estate would thereby be created. Weren't 3 little islands unified when the Triboro Br was built - to create Randall's Island. I think Coney Island was separate once, and then the small stream separating it from Bklyn was eventually filled in. There are many examples of outlying areas eventually merging with the mainland/larger islands.

Anonymous said...

I'm 4:51. I guess that you are right to bring up Coop City and Starrett City, although those two projects do have shopping. In general -- and I'm sure there may another exception or two -- Roosevelt Island is the only neighborhood in the city that has declined rather than improved in the previous 20 years.

The fact that my apartment is affordable is the only reason I continue to live here. I never expected to stay here more than a few years, but I've been priced out of two housing booms and I'm stuck.

I admit that I like the relative quiet and the cherry blossoms in the spring.

Anonymous said...

7:14, this IS a housing project, in New York City, despite the fantasies and delusions of some RIRA members.