Thursday, January 19, 2012

RIOC Board Directors Discuss Roosevelt Island Dogs Poisoned From Rat Trap Bait - Fewer Rats On Island Says RIOC President

Image of Roosevelt Island Rat Bait Trap

Earlier this evening, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corp (RIOC) Board of Directors discussed incident reported this week involving two dogs poisoned by a rat bait trap - one dog was killed and another dog badly injured. Here's the discussion.

You Tube Video Of RIOC Discussion On Roosevelt Island Dog Poisoning

During the Public Proceedings prior to the start of the Directors Meeting, Roosevelt Island resident Joyce Mincheff addressed the dog poisoning incident.

More on dog poisoning incident from previous post.


YetAnotherRIer said...

We always require parents to watch out for their children and not let them run rampant. Doesn't this apply to dogs as well, somehow? How many of these traps does a dog have to ingest in order to be killed? Somehow it does strike me more of a dog owner's problem than anybody else's. That said, I believe the RIOC should install signs that rat poison is in the vicinity. 

JordanaL said...

Children can be poisoned even though they are being closely monitored. It only takes a moment. Ask a parent about how long it is safe to be away from your child in a bathtub. It takes a minute amount of poison and it depends on the dog's relative size. It takes a minute amount to injure a baby, maybe more for a toddler. Is RIOC really planning on waiting until something like that happens to your child, or mine? Is the cost to put up signs, monitor the traps and act prudently when installing them (fastening to a unmovable object) that burdensome? Why is it that people are so quick to fault the dog's owner, the parent, the person who most grieves the loss? It is frankly unseemly of real New Yorkers.