Special Late Night Monday Thru Friday Subway Shuttle Service For Roosevelt Island Next Two Weeks - MTA Fast Track Repairs Coming To 6th Avenue F Train Line
The MTA reports:
No service at 6 Av stations: 14 St, 23 St, 34 St, 42 St, 47-50 Sts, and 57 St
FASTRACK begins weeknights at 10 PM and ends 5 AM the next morning. This service change will run nightly from March 7 - 11 and March 14 - 18. Read on for more information.
D subway and F subway trains are rerouted via the 8 Av line
S subway Special shuttle trains run between Lexington Av/63 St and 21 St-Queensbridge, stopping at Roosevelt Island, every 20 minutes.Also:
Transfer between special shuttle train at Lexington Av/63 St and 4, 5, 6, N, R, trains at Lexington Av/59 St via out-of-system transfer.What is the Fastrack? According to the MTA:
... FASTRACK is a subway maintenance, cleaning, and repair program that shuts down segments of a subway line for several hours over consecutive weeknights, allowing our employees to perform a number of critical maintenance jobs. The line shutdown approach has proven successful in that, under normal conditions in our 24/7 system, the scope and breadth of this important work would be impossible to accomplish with customers and trains moving through work areas. Thus far, since FASTRACK began in 2012, the results have had a positive impact on service with a reduction in train delays and a decrease in the number of track fires, while realizing cost efficiencies and a lower accident rate for employees.Roosevelt Island Operating Corp (RIOC) adds:
FASTRACK tasks typically include:
• Track – remove debris and repair or replace tie blocks and running rails.
• Third Rail Operations – clean and remove debris from under and around the third rail.
• Signals – perform general maintenance on signals and switches and replace dispatcher holding lights.
• Infrastructure – repair or replace handrails, signs, and tunnel lighting. Clean track drains and repair water damage/leaks.
• Electronic Maintenance – optimize performance of closed-circuit television monitors and cameras. Inspect and test public address system equipment.
• Station Environment – perform high-intensity station cleaning and painting as well as perform elevator and escalator repair work. Clean vents and drains....
The MTA has issued a service advisory for the F train, which may affect travel plans. Please plan your travel accordingly and visit mta.info or call 511 for more information. For electronic updates on F Train service, sign up for MTA Alerts at mymtaalerts.com.