Monday, November 30, 2009

Fire At Roosevelt Island's 551 Main Street - Second Floor Island House Electric Blanket Possible Cause

FDNY Fighting Fire In Front of Roosevelt Island 591 Main Street

There was a fire late this afternoon at Roosevelt Island's 551 Main Street ( Island House). It was first reported in a Tweet from The Bravest:
Manhattan 10-75 Box 1940 fire in an occupied multiple dwelling on Roosevelt Island.
Roosevelt Island Public Safety Department Director Keith Guerra adds:
The fire this afternoon took place at 551 Main Street #203, which is an "Up apartment". FDNY extinguished the fire. The Fire Marshall informs that it started in a bedroom on the 2nd floor of the apartment. There is a possibility that it was caused by an electric blanket, but that has not been confirmed as of yet.

The entire 2nd floor of the building was evacuated by PSD, including the residents of apartment 203, who I'm told are nuns from the church. Thankfully, there were no injuries. The Red Cross is on the scene.
FDNY On Main Street Near Trellis Restaurant

Southbound Roosevelt Island traffic was backed up all the way to the Blackwell Plaza Turnaround

and Queensboro Bridge.