Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Do It Yourself Roosevelt Island Advice On Heating Your Frigid Manhattan Park Apartment

 Image of Manhattan Park In Winter

Updating this post on heating problems at Roosevelt Island's Manhattan Park buildings, a Manhattan Park reader offers some do-it-yourself suggestions to other residents:
It just so happens that we had our heaters at 10 river road checked out last week.  Previously they had been blowing luke warm air at best and would never cycle, now they are warm and cycle on and off in response to the thermostat.  The attached photo notes the heat pump information including it's manufacture date of 2003, which is fairly recent.  That doesn't mean it's efficient and I wasn't able to look up the efficiency rating from the info on the unit.

Going through this process I did notice the heat pumps were not installed carefully and I could actually feel cold air pouring in around the unit.  I solved this with some duct tape.  I illustrated these fixes with the attached photos.  You could also ask maintenance to do this.  Since I did this our bill has dropped about 10-50 per month.

Our electric bill for a west facing 2 bedroom 2 bath is about 250-350 in the winter, about 200 of that is for heat.  I turn it off or down during most weekdays.  I do find the cost of heating this place a little excessive, but it isn't enough to raise a fuss with management.






0 comments :