Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ambulance Takes 20 Minutes To Arrive For Roosevelt Island Child Not Breathing - Dispatched From Long Island - Then Has Difficulty Finding Hospital

 Roosevelt Island Ambulance Image From nyc.gov

How long should it take an ambulance to respond to a Roosevelt Island medical emergency? According to the NY Post, the average response time for a New York City ambulance responding to a life threatening medical emergency last year was 5 minutes and 15 seconds. A recent incident occurred on Roosevelt Island involving a child not breathing and turning blue in which it took an ambulance 20 minutes to arrive. A Roosevelt Island resident sends in this message describing what happened:
A friend of mine, who lives at the Octagon, has a one year old daughter who had a seizure ... around midnight (she is ok now but she was blue, not breathing, unconscious).  It took an ambulance 20 minutes to get there. Before that the firemen came but I guess they are not sufficiently trained to deal with such things and were basically useless. It turns out the ambulance that eventually transported them to NY Presbyterian came all the way from Long Island (not Long Island City!) and it took the driver some time to figure out how to get to NY Presbyterian hospital. I did a little investigating this morning and found out that RI had a dedicated ambulance (since 2008) but doesn't any more (according to public safety). why?
I asked Roosevelt Island Public Safety Director Keith Guerra if the ambulance assigned by the FDNY for Roosevelt Island is still stationed on Roosevelt Island. Mr. Guerra replied:
The Ambulance is still stationed on Roosevelt Island. When it's not around, it's because it is doing a transport to the hospital from here or it needed to go over the bridge for a call close by.

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

It's a shame that an ambulance took so long to respond to that baby in the Octagon. I doubt it came from long Island though, as NYC Ambulances must stay in NYC.

I do see the FDNY Ambulance stationed here on the island over by the ramp and Gristedis area. Maybe they were changing shifts.

Anonymous said...

I see the ambulance stationed there, but any time there's a call they always come from the bridge, or I see them heading towards the bridge. RI should have an active fire/rescue squad, even if it is a volunteer one. It bothers me hearing about incidents like these because I'm a resident in the Riverwalk and an EMT. I'm sure that RI could get a volunteer dept if there were enough people to keep it up and running. I really hope the baby is ok.

Anonymous said...

you obviously don't know about the debacle that went on with RISAR. These wackos thought they were cops, firefighters, military personnel, and everything in between.

Volunteers are out of control. It should never ever happen again.

Anonymous said...

I heard the guy who ran that defunct EMS volunteer group plead guilty today for impersonating himself as a certified EMT, when he never even took the course - let alone passed the exams.

Trevre said...

I also called an ambulance for a neighbor who had fainted a few months ago, it took them 20 minutes to get to 10 river road.

Anonymous said...

I have it on good account that the former leader of RISAR did not plead guilty to impersonating an EMT (even though he did that).

I was told by one of their former members that he plead guilty to possessing a fake New York State I.D. card and a fake N.Y.S. Parking Placard - both of which he made.

Anonymous said...

I bet the WIRE won't have this scoop. Great stuff. I had heard about it a while back. The guy was actually going on calls and handling patients without an EMT certification. There is some JUSTICE in the world.

Anonymous said...

Well, to be fair... did any of the people he cared for suffered from the fact that he didn't have a certification? Did anybody die? Not that I support what that guy was doing.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anybody died, but I do know that he put a neck brace on wrong on my neighbor Tammy, and she almost sued him. Thankfully, the real EMS guys showed up and repositioned the neckbrace.