Roosevelt Island 2015-16 Fiscal Year Budget And Public Purpose Funds Procedures Among Items On Agenda For RIOC Board Of Directors Meeting Tomorrow
The Roosevelt Island Operating Corp (RIOC) Board of Directors will be meeting tomorrow. Among the items on the Agenda are approval of the RIOC Budget for Fiscal Year 2015-16 and amending the Public Purpose Funds procedures.
More information on the RIOC Budget, including significant spending increases for infrastructure improvements at this previous post.
As previously reported:
... Question have been raised recently whether RIRA will continue with its role of making Roosevelt Island Public Purpose Funds recommendations to RIOC....The RIOC Governance Committee discussed the issue of Public Purpose Funds procedures during December 3 meeting (full audio web cast of the meeting is here).
The RIOC staff proposed during the Governance Committee meeting to lessen the role of the Roosevelt Island Residents Association (RIRA) in the Public Purpose Funds process with RIOC Staff taking the lead.
After much discussion and input from the RIOC Board Directors, particularly Margie Smith and David Kraut, agreement was reached for RIRA to continue vetting applicant organizations and making recommendations to the RIOC Board for funding allocations as long as RIRA does not participate in receiving Public Purpose Funds. RIOC continues to have the final determination as to the ultimate allocation of Public Purpose Funds but full details of the process were still to be set forth by RIOC staff.
Here's video of the Governance Committee discussion on Public Purpose Funds procedures (first 2 minutes are missing from the video but can be heard at the audio web cast).
Part 1 - RIOC Staff discusses plan to lessen role of RIRA in Public Purpose Funds.
Part 2 - RIOC Directors ask staff to find a way to keep RIRA involved in vetting organizations for Public Purpose Funds. However, RIOC Director David Kraut raised the issue of what he believes is abusive language and insults directed at RIOC by certain RIRA members as being a possible future obstacle to working with RIRA (at 8 minute 50 second mark of video).
Part 3 - RIRA representatives agree to conditions set by RIOC for continuing role in Public Purpose Funds process including not receiving Public Purpose Funds. Also RIRA's Aaron Hamburger replied to Director David Kraut that RIRA was not responsible for criticisms leveled at RIOC by another resident (at 4 minute 50 second mark). Although his name was not mentioned, it was understood that Frank Farance was the person being referenced as being critical of RIOC.
Part 4 - Additional question were asked but details still need to be worked out.
The RIRA Common Council met later that evening. RIRA's Public Purpose Committee Chair Dave Evans briefed the Common Council on the RIOC Governance Committee Public Purpose Funds Procedure meeting.
Mr. Evans told the RIRA Common Council:
Here's the full Agenda for tomorrow's RIOC Board meeting.
DECEMBER 11, 2014 MEETING OF
THE ROOSEVELT ISLAND OPERATING CORPORATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
THE MANHATTAN PARK COMMUNITY CENTER,
8 RIVER ROAD, ROOSEVELT ISLAND, NEW YORK
I. Call to Order
II. Roll Call
III. Approval of Minutes
1. November 6, 2014 Board Meeting (Board Action Required)
IV. Old Business
V. New Business
1. Approval of the Proposed RIOC Budget for Fiscal Year 2015-16 (Board Action Required)
2. Schedule of 2015 Meetings of the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation Board of Directors (Board Action Required)
3. Authorization to Amend Public Purpose Funds Procedures (Board Action Required)
4. Authorization to Enter into Contract with Architectural & Engineering Group for Sportspark Repairs Design (Board Action Required)
5. Authorization to Enter into Contract with Shawn Construction, Inc. for Helix Ramp Repairs (Board Action Required)
6. Authorization to Enter into Contract with Wank Adams Slavin Associates, LLP for Manhattan Tram Station Elevators Design (Board Action Required)
7. Ratification of Amendment of Contract with Steve DiSisto General Contractors, Inc. for Resetting of Z-Brick Pavers (Board Action Required)
8. Authorization to Enter into Contract with Sprague Operating Resources LLC for the Purchase of Biodiesel Fuel (Board Action Required)
9. President’s Report
10. Committee Reports
a. Audit Committee
b. Governance Committee
c. Operations Advisory Committee
d. Real Estate Development Advisory Committee
11. Public Safety Report
 The RIOC Board Meeting will commence following a public comment period. The public comment period is not part of the meeting.