Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Roosevelt Island - Moscow on the East River?


A visitor to Roosevelt Island shares his thoughts on what he sees here:

Roosevelt Island, NYC is kind if mundane. But the Soviet look of the Philip Johnson apartment slabs (complete with co/op-like businesses occupying the ground levels) make the Island feel more like **Miskolc, Hungary than New York. And that's actually a good foil in the center of the most Commercialized of cities.
and here:
If you squint, you can see the danglingondola of death is as packed as it was when I rode it minutes earlier.
I do have the impression that Roosevelt Island often evokes images of the old Soviet Union or being behind the Iron Curtain, particularly the Main Street area in the middle of Roosevelt Island. But remember, Italy loves Roosevelt Island.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I don't think the Soviet Union had apartment prices comparable to ours. Anyway the Island is getting pretty crowded, so if this guy doesn't like it and doesn't come back, that's ok with me.

Anonymous said...

Do you think we can get some Rusky women to move to the Island. After a few vodkas they do things American women would never consent to.......if you know what I mean

Alain De Carolis said...

Hello all. Italy really loves Roosevelt Island!!! I have finally found my apt and will move in Sept 1.
I am so happy I have found such a great place in NYC... Where can I buy R.I. T-Shirts?
By the way, the leasing office person who helped me said that there are many other Italians in the complex who moved into R.I. after their retirement. Apparently I am not the only one from my country who loves this place.

ROOSEVELT ISLANDER said...

Alain
Welcome to Roosevelt Island. Please continue to contribute any thoughts or comments you may have.