Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Getting To Work From Roosevelt Island During Yesterday Morning's F Train Subway Service Disruption - A Reader's Commute

How was your Roosevelt Island commute yesterday morning? As reported yesterday, there was no F Train service from Roosevelt Island to Manhattan and limited Queens bound service for almost 2 hours due to a Police investigation at the 21 street Queensbridge Station.

Reader Trevre Andrews shares his commuting experience caused by the F train service disruption and wonders about the little green tags on bicycles at the Subway bike rack:

If you wanted to go to manhattan this morning around 845 you would have had to go back to Queen's, although it wasn't clear where you could go from there. It was noted as an ongoing police investigation causing the delay. No signs, just an audio warning when I got to the bottom of the train (Isn't this what the station attendant should do, make a sign?). If I had a pen and paper I would have made one myself.

I also found the Queen's bound trains were taking their sweet time as I waited on one for about 15 minutes before I gave up on the RI public transit all together which leads me to my second story.

Upon exiting the subway I decided to grab my recently locked bike from the rack outside the station, only to notice little green tags on a lot of the bikes. The tags contained four digit numbers but no notifications were to be found.

Image From Trevre Andrews

My imagination ran wild thinking of the psd down there with a plasma torch cutting through hundreds of dollars of perfectly good locks, but it could just be my imagination. Anyone know what's up with the little green tags?

My other options were the red bus service...i didnt want to even start to figure that shirade out, or a taxi, none of which are on the island at that hour. Given my options I hoofed it over to Queen's and grabbed the Vernon blvd 7 train (not wanting to mess with queensboro or leave my bike there).

Image From Trevre Andrews

On my way over to Queen's I also got to see the gridlocked 36th ave bridge, with both lanes stalled maybe due to a broken vehicle.

Image From Trevre Andrews

There is also a water taxi at Hunters Point, which I haven't tried yet. Despite all this I made it to manhattan in under an hour. All in all the frustration is sort of what makes New York so much fun.
RIOC VP Of Operations Fernando Martinez provides some additional information:
At approximately 9:30 AM, RIOC received notice of an F train service disruption on Manhattan-bound trains. To accommodate passenger needs, the following red shuttle bus service was provided:

Manhattan Bound [9:45 AM]: Filled to capacity*
Manhattan Bound [9:50 AM]: Filled to capacity*

Queens Plaza Bound [9:45 AM]: Filled to capacity*
Queens Plaza Bound [10:00 AM]: Filled to capacity*

Manhattan Bound [10:20 AM]: Approximately 40 passengers.
Manhattan Bound [10:25 AM]: Approximately 35 passengers.

Queens Plaza Bound [10:30 AM]: Approximately 50 passengers.

The departure times are from the Riverwalk bus stop.

At approximately 10:30 AM, RIOC received notice that F train service had resumed with residual delays. No additional red shuttle buses were dispatched, and normal Manhattan-bound shuttle service resumed.

*Capacity - 34 seating, 20 standing or a total of 54 passengers
and a reader of yesterday's post adds, though unconfirmed:
What really happened was that is yet unknown wheather or not a man committed suicide.
Also: NYC Transit Forum reported yesterday:
Have no further details at this time but the Medical Examiner is in route and responding to 21st queens bridge. At this time, Due to a police investigation at the 21st Street-Queensbridge Station, F trains are running on the V line in both directions between the 36th Street Station and the 47-50th Street-Rockefeller Center Station.

2 comments :

Unknown said...

I was on the Manhattan-bound platform when they announced that we would have to go via Queens. A Queens-bound train came and went a minute before the announcement. Could I have known to take this one earlier?

A few minutes after the announcement, another Queens-bound train arrived. After it had just been sitting there for ~5 minutes, the conductor made an announcement. I *thought* it said that 21st St station was closed and that we'd have to take the bus to get off-Island. ~25% of the passengers exited the train with me.

I decided to go home and wait it out because I have a flexible job so that's where my adventure ended.

One complaint I might make is that, on my way back to the surface, I saw plenty of people making the typical rush down to the Manhattan-bound platform on the elevators, escalators, and stairs. It would have been nice if MTA gave them a heads-up before they went all the way there in such a hurry.

Anonymous said...

I think I know something about the "green tag mystery": I live at the Octagon and the management was requiring all residents to identify the bikes in the garage until May 16th. The building's concierge were providing green tags and wire. The 4 (or 3) digit number is just the apartment number. Case solved.