Friday, September 24, 2010

Assembly Member Micah Kellner Greeting Roosevelt Island Residents At F Subway Station Last Night

As I was exiting the Roosevelt Island subway station yesterday evening around 5:30 PM, I stopped for just a moment to consider if somehow I was transported through a time travel vortex to early November. What was the reason for my momentary disorientation?

Well, at the entrance to the subway station, Roosevelt Island's Assembly Member Micah Kellner was greeting residents, shaking hands, listening to Roosevelt Islanders and aides were handing out campaign literature. I thought it had to be a bit early in the campaign season but there Mr. Kellner was at the subway station and it's still only September - not November.


After thinking about this, I should not be surprised. Mr. Kellner can often be seen on Roosevelt Island attending community events, providing input and support on important issues as well as providing excellent constituent services. I give Mr. Kellner alot of credit for the attention he pays to Roosevelt Island - even if I may disagree with him on any particular issue. He is an excellent representative for Roosevelt Island.

Keep up the good work Mr. Kellner!

No time travel for me yesterday evening.

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

It's the season again when politicians crawl out of their holes and all of the sudden are extremely interested in the small people. Political campaigns in this country are fascinating. Can't wait for the smear campaigns on TV.

Anonymous said...

People complain when the politicians never show up and they complain when they do show up.

Anonymous said...

How about they show up but stop being so obviously fake? None of them really want to stand on the streets and shake everybody's hands. Why do they do it? Are we that gullible and change our vote because of these stunts? I am not. I think they should stop doing things like that and have year-around office hours for folks to walk in and communicate instead. Many have that already anyway.

David Kraut said...

I disagree mildly with some of my fellow residents' comments. First, Micah Kellner does in fact hold regular office hours on Roosevelt Island. Second, it is not correct to say that politicians don't like meeting their constituents, shaking hands, etc. In New York, most of them love it. It is an essential component of a local politician's makeup, and the ones who can't remember names, don't like meeting the voters and so forth, don't last long. I don't know who Mike's opponent will be in November, but if that person doesn't show up and shake hands and make clear how much they enjoy it, they won't stand a chance.

Anonymous said...

Sure, they love doing it because it may get them some votes. I like what Kellner is doing with office hours etc but does he have to stand in front of the subway station as well? He doesn't need it. How many people actually stop and talk to him? Close to none. It's just one of these "everybody's doing it".

Jay said...

Unreal, but I guess it shows how Islanders will pretty much bitch about anything. An elected official takes time out of his day to greet voters and listen (I know because I spoke with Kellner on this day), and the anonymous blog comments are cynical and stupid. Shocking. You all pretty much make an argument to be ignored and disregarded. We're lucky to have an advocate like Kellner for this god-forsaken rock. Take a moment from your miserable bitching and recognize that.

Anonymous said...

I agree whole-heartedly with Jay & David. The problem is that's all folks here do - is bitch & moan about everything. It's like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"... people complain about everything, so when there's something worth complaining about, it won't have any credence.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why you guys are attacking me because I personally think that politicians crawling out of their holes just in time for election day is one of the "stupidest" things they do.

I hope this is not coming as a surprise to you two posters above: I am not alone with this and not only Roosevelt Islanders share this opinion with me. You keep enjoying it, I sure won't.

David Kraut said...

Well, as a famous New York politician once said, "Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but they not entitled to their own facts." The fact is that our Roosevelt Island politicians do NOT hide under rocks, or appear once every few years at election time. Maloney, Lappin, Kellner and Serrano are all here quite regularly. This was the case with their predecessors such as Bill Green, Charlie Millard, Gifford Miller, Pete Grannis, Bob Dreyfuss and Olga Mendez, (some of whom were actually Republicans :) ). So to make blithe statements such as yours is bound to draw a reaction in a politically-aware community such as this one.