Monday, October 4, 2010

Roosevelt Island Adult Soccer Game - Anyone Interested In Playing And Helping to Organize Pick Up Games?

 Playing Soccer On The Octagon Field at Night

I received a couple of inquires recently asking whether there is a soccer team(s) for adult pick up games on Roosevelt Island. The inquiries were made by the wife and girlfriend of guys looking to play a friendly, competitive game of soccer. I replied that I was not aware of any but would find out about any currently being played and if none, whether there was any interest in organizing soccer pick up games.

So, if there is no existing local pick up soccer game, is anybody out there in Roosevelt Island sports land interested in playing some pick up soccer and more importantly. willing to organize the games? The newly resurfaced Octagon Soccer Field would be a great place to play.

An excellent model for a pick up Roosevelt Island soccer group is the Roosevelt Island Pick Up Softball Group which began this spring and is hosting a very successful Saturday morning of Pick Up Softball.

Why not Roosevelt Island Pick Up Soccer?

UPDATE 5:15 PM - A reader did some Roosevelt Island soccer research and reports back:
... Regarding soccer, the league to join up to is at zogsports.

I checked now and the teams are full for the instant, but you can "waitlist". I am waitlisted for example.  Zogsports says $150 for the season. I am hoping to join a team, but have not as yet. Looking for teammates!

Plan B is to go by the field and just ask the teams...I know they are there most of Sunday.

Skills- I saw men and women. So I would say it's serious, but not over the top.

The UN has a league on Wed nights, but that also is booked out.

2 comments :

Unknown said...

Thanks for the mention. Softball is still going strong until our hands are too cold to grip a bat.

I am on the mailing list for a pickup soccer group which posted a flyer in Nonno's about a year ago. Mostly Sloan-Kettering people. I haven't played with them because I don't have the endurance for soccer. They play Sunday mornings on Firefighters, I think. The organizers are spraggol _.AT._ mskcc.org and str2012 ._AT_. med.cornell.edu. Someone can check whether they're still open to more players.

mushr00m said...

I'd definitely be interested. It would be nice to try and organize something that could take advantage of the new field. As far as local. There are games saturday and sunday mornings at Queens West, not far. You could walk, or even more easily bike to them. They can be found on meetup.com as fun times soccer or something like. They charge just under 6 dollars a session, which lasts about 1h45m, and nice skill, but not physical.

Something could be organized for island fields maybe? I'm really not in a position to take the lead on that, but I could help out.

philippe.richards@gmail.com