Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 1 Of the Roosevelt Island Tram-Less Rush Hour F Train Subway Commute - Smooth Sailing So Far & Good Job By The MTA

So how did this mornings first Tram-less Roosevelt Island rush hour commute go? Pretty smoothly from my perspective at the Manhattan Bound F Train subway station.

I stationed myself there from approximately 7:45 to 9 AM and did not see any particular problems with overcrowded trains. F Trains were arriving every 2 or 3 minutes but as we got closer to 9 AM the interval increased to about 4 minutes. Yes, several trains during that time were very crowded and riders had to squeeze in to be accommodated but nothing unusual for a morning rush hour New York City Subway ride.

Crowded Roosevelt Island Rush Hour Subway Platform

Squeezing Into F Train At Roosevelt Island

Other trains had more than ample enough room for standing.

Empty Rush Hour Roosevelt Island Station and F Train

I was pleasantly surprised to see at least 4 MTA personnel stationed, including supervisors, on the platform helping riders and generally evaluating the situation.

MTA Personnel Helping At the Roosevelt Island F Train Platform

The MTA personnel delayed departing F Trains several times so that Roosevelt Island residents rushing down the stairs or escalators could safely board a waiting train. They even helped a woman with a stroller who had let two previous trains go by get on the next train. I was certainly very impressed with those MTA workers. They did a great job! I was told that in the event there are significant F train delays in Queens, a V train would be re-directed on the F line towards Roosevelt Island.

A reader of this post had a similar subway experience this morning.
Day 1 of Tramageddon: no noticeable difference in my commute at around 7:45am. I was thinking that some folks would start their commute early plus the usual tram crown at this time would have some kind of impact. Nope, nothing at all. As long as the trains are running on schedule I am sure the F line has enough capacity.
NY 1 was on hand to witness today's Roosevelt Island commute interviewing residents on the subway platform and at the Tram Station. They also interviewed RIOC VP Of Operations Fernando Martinez in this video.

The reporter, Roger Clark Tweeted:
I'm thinking one of the old Roosevelt Island Trams would make a fun coffee stand or snack bar....need clever name for business...
Don't know how the Red Bus Shuttle to Queens went this morning though.


Anonymous said...


I was the supervisor you chatted with this morning on the platform.

Thank you for the kudos. We sure do appreciate the kind words and recognition.

The one crowded F train in the photo was about 6 minutes late resulting in 80% more passengers on board.

Thanks to the F line management adjusting the spacing between intervals, that problem was quickly and efficiently laid to rest.

We look forward to providing good service to Roosevelt Island residents in the future.

Anonymous said...

Since when does the F train come every 2-3 minutes? Their schedule says every 5-6 minutes. I suspect the MTA put on extra trains so the reporters would report no problems.

But the evening was hell. I got to the 63rd St platform at 7:45 and waited 21 minutes until a V train came on the F line. A very poor start.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone consider putting one of the tram cars in the Transit Museum?

Anonymous said...

Hick-ups always happen. That had nothing to do with the tram being down.

Anonymous said...

Commuting via Train has not been a problem all week. Let's hope the MTA keeps it that way.

Anonymous said...

Last night, 3/3 the subway stranded Roosevelt island commuters at around 6:30 from the city and from queens. My boyfriend got announcements when he got on the train at bryant park saying they would be taking the V line bc the F line signals were down and they would have to take the F back from Queensbridge. The problem is once they got there the F was not working at all and he was left to walk or wait for a bus for a half hour and on top of that ran into a little girl who was sick and her mother who couldn't speak english and couldn't find their way back to the island.
This is only week one, how much more are we going to have to take before MTA realizes that the subway and a few buses aren't going to do the trick.

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

2:34pm - and surprise, surprise, the MTA didn't have to do anything to catch the tram commuters. One week no tram (well, almost) and problems whatsoever.

The crowded trains are always caused by impatient passengers because as soon as one train is slightly delayed (for whatever reason) everybody jams into the train at each subsequent stop and delays it even further. The best strategy to get a spot most of the time is to just let the first or first two trains pass.