Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Roosevelt Island Westview Resident Not Happy With What Is Going On

Image Of Westview Entrance

A Roosevelt Island resident of the Westview Mitchell-Lama housing complex writes in to ask what is going on at the building.
Westview, my home of 28 years, was recently put out to a Lottery, advertised in the Papers for Section 8 for only 1 bedroom and Studio apartments.
Click To Enlarge. Image From 5/9 Main Street WIRE Page 9 (PDF File)

Our waiting lists, external and internal have been closed for awhile now.

RY Management et al stating that people seeking apts. in Westview-"They" don't want the smaller apts., i.e. the one bedroom and Studios.

I find that really hard to believe, this is Roosevelt Island and NYC, where housing is hard to find and we are extremely desirable.

I have friends all over, some at MSKCC who would love a one bedroom or a Studio.

What is REALLY going on here?

Also, the current loss of our Case in NYS Supreme Court against our rent hike imposed on us back on 10/1.

The Case was being considered for a long time, then on or around 5/21, the Judge ruled against it.

Same old under the table dealing, probably payoffs and God only knows.
The links and Westview Application lottery image were inserted by me. Note that the Westview submission application deadline stated in the advertisement is Wednesday June 17, 2010, today is Wednesday June 16, 2010.

More information on Westview including charges of illegal warehousing and subletting of apartments is available at the Westview Task Force and from previous posts.

Discussions are also underway for the privatization of Westview, as well as Rivercross and Island House. RIOC President Steve Shane talked about these issues in a June 5, 2010 interview with the Main Street WIRE.

In his March 24, RIOC Column (Item 9), Mr. Shane reported this about the privatizations:
Privatization of Mitchell-Lamas: With the extensive discussion and debate at the Board meeting to express the sense of the Board for ground lease extensions, RIOC has moved forward in preserving the long term affordability of the portion of the housing on the Island represented by Rivercross, Island House and Westview. Much work and many details remain to be resolved with the other governmental agencies who are stakeholders in Roosevelt Island. We met with the City and ESDC last week and outlined a task force approach to working on the issues. Stay tuned.

11 comments :

Anonymous said...

Maybe I don't know what I am talking about but doesn't that just mean that they opened the lists for studios and 1BR apts? What's so special about this?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am the one who is concerned about my building, WV and I do I know what I am talking about.

What is "special" is, we had our waiting lists closed and all of a sudden, we are open and out to a Lottery.

They were open to the outside for awhile.

I am just concerned and it may me wonder.

We got no real answers from the WVTF here or about the loss of our rent hike case.

It is "special", we- WV has some of the best apts. on the island in terms of sizes and views.

Where do you live and how long, we are fighting to keep our homes here...

Boss Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I've lived on the island for over two years, am currently serving on RIRA, and applied for the Westview lottery.

Note that you have facts wrong in your complaints:

1. The lottery is being held for positions on the wait list (not to be given vacant apartments), a wait list that has been closed since before we moved to the island. Considering that MOST affordable housing wait lists are closed for Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn, I do not feel that this is an unreasonable action, and more than welcome the opportunity to pay a reasonable rent.

2. The lottery is not only for Section 8. The lottery is for all people who meet the specified income requirements. Section 8 applications are no longer being accepted by the city, making it virtually impossible for people with lower and middle income to achieve any sort of rent stability in a good neighborhood.

To be frank, I resent your insinuation that affordable housing is only for people who have lived within the system for decades and have put in their time. A whole new generation of hard-working people who would like to raise families in nice communities is in the workforce being underpaid (a $30,000 starting salary will not pay for a place to live!) and deserves to have the same opportunities that you were afforded 28 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I still don't get it. They are raffling off positions on the waiting list. The lists for studios and 1BRs are open again. This shouldn't come as a surprise. And I don't think that current tenants really need to know what management does at this level.

Anonymous said...

To the new RIRA member, I am not saying that any new Resident or outsiders don't deserve to live in WV

I was concerned, as no one in WV-the building or Management explained the Lottery.

I am all for affordable housing here on Roosevelt Island and in Westview.


We have been fighting to keep it "affordable" for years now.

I was on the Task Force in my building.

We are still fighting for it.

We are also the most expensive Mitchell Lama Building in the entire State.

There are lots of things going on with Roosevelt Island and Westview that I am concerned with and have the right to be.

Eastwood, now known as "Roosevelt Landings" is a mess, the tenants there are paying very high rents and had a deal done basically behind their backs, that is what alot of us are concerned with here in WV.

I wish you luck in getting into one of the best Buildings on the Island.

Anonymous said...

I think you are asking for a little bit too much transparency. Why does it concern you how management is finding new tenants? You are not living in a co-op.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I don't believe so. It is my home and there are possible State laws and regulations being ignored.

This is a Mitchell-Lama Building, where the guidelines and regulations are supposed to be enforced.

It does concern me, as WV could end like like Eastwood-now known as Roosevelt Landings.

Any tenant in the Building has the right to ask and know, if they can find out what is going on in the place they reside.

Anonymous said...

I really have to disagree with you. If you want to have full control or even full access to information over what's happening with your building you need to own your place and shares of the building just like what you can find in co-op apartments.

What guideline or regulation was violated by opening the wait list?

Anonymous said...

Hi- firstly I don't who you are, where you live, etc.

Yes, I know about living in a Co-op and having full control, etc.

I have been in this building for 28 years and there have been numerous violations on record with the NYS Inspector General's office of illegal warehousing of apartments, waiting lists being a mess, etc.

As far as I know the wait list was entirely closed and the wait to get into this Building three years or more.

I can be concerned or ask for any information that concerns my home.

We have other tenants in this Building just as concerned as I am.

I didn't state that Mitchell Lama guideline or regulation was violated, as it hasn't been explained to us as Tenants, etc.

We have the right to ask, we live here.

Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

What exactly is the problem with Roosevelt Landings? The only people paying high rents are those who are new to the building. I pay a ridiculous amount of rent which you would assume gives me a nice place to live. Instead I'm surrounded by people who pay next to nothing and treat it like the projects.