Monday, August 24, 2009

Roving Runner Runs Roosevelt Island - And Likes It Very Much

Roosevelt Island Running Route Image From USATF

A very nice story in the NY Times Well Blog by The Roving Runner describing his first visit to and run around Roosevelt Island.
Roosevelt Island is sitting right there. A thin, two-mile-long slice of residential life sandwiched between Manhattan and Queens, I had seen it and heard about it, but somehow after 13 years of living in the city, I’d never been there.

What better way to see a tiny island than by running around it?...

... as I completed my lap around the island I saw an oil tanker just to my right floating along slightly faster than I was running. I sped up to stay even with the tanker and kept pace for about a minute, smiling my way through this “race.” The vessel gradually pulled away and I slowed back down, enjoying some more views of Manhattan and grateful that I had made this trip.
More information on running or jogging around Roosevelt Island is available at these earlier posts.

0 comments :