Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kimono Dressing Class Dream Blossoms On Roosevelt Island

Image of Roosevelt Island Kimono Class from NY Times

Who would have thought that of all the unique neighborhoods in New York City the place where you can learn Kimono Dressing would be right here on Roosevelt Island. According to the NY Times:
...Putting on a kimono without help is almost impossible. The kimono with all its accessories can include a dozen components, and the type of fabric used and the manner in which the kimono is folded vary, depending on the occasion and the wearer’s social status.

Hiromi Asai, 28, who emigrated a year ago from Japan, has stepped into the void, offering her services as a kimono dressing instructor in her Roosevelt Island apartment....
Ms. Asai writes about all things Kimono and her experience being interviewed by the NY Times in her blog, Beauty Of Kimono, and concludes:
...My class is in Roosevelt Island, in the small corner of Manhattan. I am very pleased that one of my dreams from Japan blossoms in The New York Times.
Thank you for finding my dream, Emily!
A video on how to put on a kimono titled " The Art of Kimono Dressing" after the jump.

Read More!




You Tube Video of the Art Of Kimono Dressing

2 comments :

Islander said...

Now I find this entry. I think Hiro is the best kimono professional in this country. I hope her bigger dream becomes true in the near future.

Hiro said...

Thank you for this entry and the cordial comment. Let"s enjoy kimono lofe. I hope many Roosevelt Islanders come to my class.