Funds For Roosevelt Island Youth Center, Garden Club And Zipcar License Agreement & Installation Of Gustav Kraitz Sculpture Among Items Of RIOC Board Of Directors Meeting Today
The Roosevelt Island Operating Corp (RIOC) Board Of Directors meet later today.
Image Of March 2015 RIOC Board Of Directors MeetingA public comment session is held prior to the start of the meeting. Here is the Agenda:
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that a Board of Directors meeting will be held on Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. at the Cultural Center Theater, 548 Main Street, Roosevelt Island, New York, for the purpose of transacting such business as shall come before the Board.Below is March 31 memo from RIOC staff to RIOC President Charlene Indelicato and the RIOC Board in support of funding allocation to the Roosevelt Island Youth Center.
APRIL 16, 2015 MEETING OF
THE ROOSEVELT ISLAND OPERATING CORPORATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
THE CULTURAL CENTER THEATER, 548 MAIN STREET,
ROOSEVELT ISLAND, NEW YORK
I. Call to Order
II. Roll Call
III. Approval of Minutes
1. March 26, 2015 Board Meeting (Board Action Required)
IV. Old Business
V. New Business
1. Authorization to Amend License Agreement with the Roosevelt Island Garden Club, LTD (RIGC) (Board Action Required)
2. Authorization to Ratify and Amend License Agreement for Zipcar Parking at Southtown (Board Action Required)
3. Authorization to Install the Kraitz Sculpture on Roosevelt Island (Board Action Required)
4. Authorization of Expenditure of Funds for Roosevelt Island Youth Center (Board Action Required)
5. Authorization to Enter into Contract with U. Arias, Corp for Landscaping and Maintenance Services (Board Action Required)
6. Authorization to Enter into Contract with Architecture and Engineering Group, PC for Motorgate Garage Repairs Design (Board Action Required – Materials to Follow)
7. President’s Report
8. Committee Reports
a. Audit Committee
b. Governance Committee
c. Operations Advisory Committee
d. Real Estate Development Advisory Committee
9. Public Safety Report
 The RIOC Board Meeting will commence following a public comment period. The public comment period is not part of the meeting.
As you are aware, included in the Board approved FY 15-16 (April 1, 2015 – March 31, 2016) Budget is a $175,000 disbursement for the Roosevelt Island Youth Center (“Youth Center”) — currently being operated by the Roosevelt Island Youth Program (“RIYP”). The Youth Center through RIYP offers programs vital to the Island and its youth, consistent with the General Development Plan and RIOC’s Mission Statement.Here's more information on the:
Programs provided by RIYP include a summer day camp, fitness activities, computer lab access and music instruction. RIYP also manages extensive after school activities, an organized sports curriculum and other recreational programs as part of the PS/IS 217 Beacon Program, for which it receives NYC funding.
RIOC intends to issue a Request for Proposals in the fall of this year for an entity to operate the Youth Center. However, in order to provide for efficient continuity of these programs, the budgeted funds for the current fiscal year should be pro-rated to the RIYP through December 31, 2015, in the amount of $131,250. RIOC would also require RIYP to continue to provide an appropriate accounting of the funds.
Based on the foregoing, we recommend the approval of the disbursement of $131,250 to the Roosevelt Island Youth Program.
- Kraitz Sculpture installation,
- Garden Club License agreemen,
- Zip Car License Agreement,
- Landscaping and Maintenance Services and
- Design of Motorgate Repairs
UPDATE 11 PM - The authorization to approve funding for the Roosevelt Island Youth Center was approved by the RIOC Board earlier this evening.
RIOC staffer Sean Singh briefed the RIOC Board followed by a discussion among the Board members before approving the funding authorization.
RIOC Board member Margie Smith concluded the discussion on the subject by saying:
... The take away for the community is there's no danger that we will not have a Youth Center. We will. We will have one probably ad infinitum. Some of the State restrictions are getting tighter and we are working through that stuff now. We are very confident that we will work something out and that there will be very little, if any, disruption, to the Youth Center. There will be a Youth Center continuing on the Island....Here's the discussion.
The Zipcar, Landscaping and Motorgate authorizations were also approved. The Kraitz sculpture authorization and Garden Club license agreement were postponed.