Light Pole image from Askew - Not necessarily the light pole that caused shock
According to the Roosevelt Island Public Safety Department, a person was injured on Roosevelt Island when he placed his hand on a light pole and received an electric shock. As indicated in earlier stray voltage post I have long been concerned about this danger. Here is the report for June 25.
Hazardous Condition- Male victim placed his hand on a light pole and received a electrical shook. RIOC was notified power turned off.This can potentially cause very serious injury including death as occurred recently in Brooklyn. From the Queens Ledger:
UPDATE: 6/27 - RIOC Public Safety Director Keith Guerra reports:ELECTRIC SHOCK KILLS MAN(Brooklyn) Routine work on a telephone pole led to the untimely demise of 46 year-old Steve Clayton, who was killed by an electric shock. He was working on the telephone pole in Fort Hamilton when a live wire came loose and hit him, sending deadly volts of electricity through his body. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, but nothing could be done to save him. According to Eastern Electric, the company he worked for, the New Jersey native is survived by his wife and three children.
Regarding the light pole, a person leaned up against the pole and felt a shock. No injures. Power shut off by Engineering.
UPDATE:6/30 - Follow up from Keith Guerra:
It was the lightpole in front of Trelis, across the street from Public Safety. We placed cones around it until it gets repaired.I think this may be the light pole though I am not sure. On Saturday morning, there were no cones around any light pole by Trellis so I hope that means it has been repaired.