Thursday, March 10, 2011

Having Problems Getting A New York City Taxi Cab To Take You To Roosevelt Island? Taxi & Limousine Commission Cracking Down With Undercover Investigations

Image Of Cab Dropping Off Passenger at Roosevelt Island's Riverwalk Building

Have you had any problems getting a cab driver to take you to Roosevelt Island? Ever experienced the grumbling and sighs from cab drivers as you tell them you are going to Roosevelt Island and have them refuse to take you or suddenly have some mysterious cab breakdown right before the Queensboro Bridge forcing you to get out of the cab near the Tram? If you have, this article from today's New York Post will sound all too familiar:
 College students enlisted by the city to pose as Manhattan taxi passengers heading to another borough got turned down by yellow-cab drivers a shocking 50 percent of the time as part of a city sting, it was disclosed yesterday.

Officials said the findings indicate that previous probes by inspectors employed by the Taxi and Limousine Commission may have vastly underestimated how many times cabbies are breaking the law by refusing to leave the gilded streets of Manhattan....
Roosevelt Island isn't even another borough, it is officially part of Manhattan, though cabs do have to go through Queens in order to get here. One Roosevelt Island resident, Average Allergy Mom, had a cab driver who would not take her to Roosevelt Island and tweeted yesterday:
@NYCMayorsOffice yep had a big fight with a cabby one night who wouldn't take us to Roosevelt Island. We reported him!
The NYC Mayors Office tweeted in reply:
If you want to hail a cab, NYC taxi drivers are required by law to take you to ANY destination in the city. Period. End of story.
Blogger Karothon reports:
...a cab refused to take me to Roosevelt Island (even though cabbies aren’t allowed to refuse a fare within the 5 boroughs) and I fumed about it for DAYS! I even called 311 (the NYC helpline) to complain — it was Christmas Eve and I was carrying heavy stuff! — but found out I had to schedule a hearing to formally complain about a denied fare. I certainly wasn’t upset enough to go downtown for a hearing, but finding out I couldn’t just call and file a complaint gave me something else to be annoyed about. And I was on hold for 10 minutes!...
and this Roosevelt Island resident tweeted last summer:
Props to Jade+Di for getting a cabbie to ride to Roosevelt Island, something I've barely been able to do over 4 yrs.
What about you? Any problems getting a cab to take you to Roosevelt Island?

Below is March 9, 2011 NYC Press Release describing efforts to prevent cab drivers from illegally refusing service to riders wishing to travel to boroughs outside of Manhattan.
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Taxi and Limousine Commissioner David Yassky today updated New Yorkers on the Administration’s efforts to prevent taxi drivers from illegally refusing to serve passengers and unveiled video of recent undercover operations. The videos were taken by Taxi and Limousine Commission “Secret Shoppers,” who are part of the commission’s ongoing efforts to crack down on illegal taxi refusals. New York City cab drivers are required by Local Law to take a passenger to any destination within the five boroughs, or to destinations in Nassau and Westchester Counties, and to Newark Airport. The requirement is also part of the contract that drivers agree to when they are licensed and it’s clearly written in the Taxicab Rider Bill of Rights, which is available through Passenger Information Monitors in the backseat of every cab. Last month, the Administration proposed increasing the penalties for drivers that illegally refuse passengers. Passengers should report illegal refusals by noting the taxi’s medallion number, the time and place of the incident and calling 311 or going to 311Online on nyc.gov. The Mayor was joined at the announcement in the Blue Room of City Hall by City Council Transportation Committee Chair James Vacca, who will introduce a bill later this month to increase penalties for drivers that illegally refuse rides. City Council Speaker Christine C. Quinn is supporting the legislation.
“We are a city of five boroughs – and it doesn’t matter which borough you are coming from or which borough you’re going to – if you want to hail a cab, drivers are required by law to take you to any destination in the city. Period. End of story,” said Mayor Bloomberg. “We have been stepping up our enforcement efforts to ensure every person who puts a hand in the air to hail a cab is treated the same, charged the same way and taken to where they want to go without argument.”
“A cornerstone of New York taxi service is that the passenger can go anywhere in the five boroughs, not just anywhere in Manhattan,” said Commissioner Yassky.
“With the substantial increase in fines, we hope that cabbies will think twice before they decide to refuse a fare,” said Speaker Quinn. “Incidents like what allegedly happened this weekend that left a young man severely injured would not have occurred if the cabbie had simply done his job. While we recognize the hard work our cab drivers do every day, we also expect them to abide by the law.”
“I’ve had it with drivers who think they can choose which laws to obey and which not to obey,” said Council Member Vacca. “Too many passengers seeking to go outside Manhattan are being told to take a hike, when it is the cabbies who flout the law who should take a hike. Raising fines for refusing service sends a clear message that the era of picking and choosing where to take passengers must come to an end.”
The number of service refusals reported to the Taxi and Limousine Commission have been on the rise this Fiscal Year, increasing from 2,128 reported refusals between July 2009 and February 2010 to 2,887 reported refusals between July 2010 and February 2011 – an increase of more than 36 percent.
The penalties for illegal refusals are set by Local Law, and require City Council authorization to modify. The Administration’s proposed new penalties are:
  • $500 for a first offense;
  • $750 and a 30-day suspension for a second offense within 24 months; and
  • Mandatory TLC license revocation for a third offense within 36 months.
The current penalty structure is:
  • $200-$350 for a first offense;
  • $350-$500 and a possible 30-day suspension for a second offense within 24 months; and
  • Mandatory TLC license revocation for a third offense within 36 months.
The Taxi and Limousine Commission also regularly uses “secret shoppers,” who look for various violations, including illegal cell phone use, illegal livery pick-ups, and other customer service violations. The commission recently enhanced its illegal service refusal enforcement efforts by partnering with Baruch College’s School of Public Affairs and deploying students as secret shoppers in the evening and nighttime. The students receive training and are supervised.
Transcripts of some the videos taken by Taxi and Limousine Commission Officers are below. The attempted street hails took place in Manhattan and the drivers were issued appropriate summonses.
Street hail #1. Destination Brooklyn:
Driver: I don’t have GPS.
Passenger: What was that?
Driver: I don’t have GPS, that’s why.
Passenger: You don’t have a GPS? Well, it’s 3rd Avenue and Union Street in Brooklyn.
Driver: I don’t know…..Brooklyn Bridge….if they show me I would take them, but otherwise…
Passenger: You don’t have a map, or a….
Driver: I don’t have a map.
Passenger: All right, all right. (Driver flees) Yo, Yo, Yo. Yo. Yo. 5p60. 5p60 (The medallion number).
This was the driver’s first summons for an illegal refusal.
Street hail #2. Destination Queens:
Passenger: I’m going to Liberty and Lefferts in Queens.
Driver: Liberty and Lefferts.
Passenger: In Queens. In Richmond Hill.
Driver: You know your way? Liberty, because…
Passenger: I know you go over the Brooklyn Bridge.
Driver: You go on the Brooklyn Bridge. When you say Liberty, I don’t know Liberty…
Passenger: Liberty Avenue.
Driver: Liberty, I don’t know.
Passenger: Do you have a map that we could follow?
Driver: No, no. No, take somebody else.
Passenger: Why, what’s the problem?
This driver has two previous violations for illegal refusal. If this summons is upheld, his license will be revoked.
All licensed taxi drivers in New York City are required to have a five borough map and claiming to not know directions to a location is not a permissible reason to refuse a fare. It is a frequently used tactic by drivers that want to avoid a trip to the boroughs outside of Manhattan.
Here's a video of NYC investigation showing cab drivers refusing to take riders to boroughs outside of Manhattan.

9 comments :

JPH said...

This happens so often it's unremarkable. From my family's experience the hacks feel more emboldened when my wife is alone or with our son, but I've been refused too often to count.

AD said...

I've had a driver try to refuse me once. I never tell the drive where I'm going until I'm in the cab and he has pulled away from the curb. The one time he did refuse, I firmly explained that it was against the law for him to not take me, and then didn't tip him once we got here.

Vinicius said...

I've had this problem a few of times when I first moved to Roosevelt Island. You should never tell the cab driver where you are going before getting in the car. After I started telling them I was going to Roosevelt Island only after I was already inside they never denied me a ride.

They never gave me the excuse of not knowing the way, but if they ever do, I know the way myself, and can easily instruct them if needed. I recommend other people to do the same.

Mike G. said...

I agree with the other posters - we've found that if you wait until the meter's turned on before giving your destination, and you don't accept any excuses about shift change or hesitation crossing the bridge, they'll usually make the trip.

Dan Chen said...

I actually found it more time-efficient to take the cab to the tram (going home from Midtown West). The NYC taxicab experience is acceptable at best, painful at worst (the odors, the aggressive and erratic driving, the rickety vehicles). So much better to finish the day with a peaceful tram ride home.

Anonymous said...

I wish the TLC would require their cab drivers to memorize the map of NYC. Just like they have to do pretty much anywhere else in the world. But then, the main reason why drivers refuse to bring you to RI is because they know they will most likely not find a fare back to Manhattan. It's lost time and money for them.

Anonymous said...

I have been a financial supporter of NYC taxis for the last year. My typical ride is about 11.00 plus a 3.00 tip.

Just get in the cab. Say" Roosevelt Island please, take the upper level of the Queensboro Bridge".

Sit back and relax. I have never been refused and I have occassionally been grumbled at.

One driver told me this was the ride to nowhere.

One driver told me his brother lived on the island and we had a lot of island knowledge in common.

My Manhattan communtes will be less frequent now. My mom moved to the island and now we will have to find a cab leaving the island when we want to go to the big city. The cabbies are happy to take people back to Manhattan.

judyb

Anonymous said...

I have lived here over 25 years. I have only been refused by a cab on maybe 10 occasions, and that was well before the 'better' enforcement by the TLC. The last 2times I was refused, in one instance, the driver actually got me another cab and then returned my tote bag to where he picked me up (and their security called me from my phone bill) and in the other, the cab broke down near the 59thSt. Bridge and the driver flagged down another.

A real NYer knows to get in the cab first, say the destination, and thank the driver. And give them a decent tip.

Getting a cab back to the city from RI is easier at certain times of the day -- altho yesterday morning at 6:30 am I was refused on RI -- got his #s and filed a complaint.

dscross said...

A limo would certainly be the best choice out of the two.









limo hire Manchester