Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Tale of Two Roosevelt Island Trellis Diners - Socialize With Friends But Flick Off The Bugs

Image of Trellis Diner from lenglekim

Tell me, what do you really think about eating at Trellis Diner - a community institution on Roosevelt Island for many, many years? Yesterday, I received this message to an earlier Trellis post from a reader, Rob, who was not very happy:
I'm seriously getting sick of Trellis. 65% of the time I eat there I get food poisoning. One time I got so sick I turned pale and shivered as if I was nude in Alaska and threw up all darn night. I was so dehydrated and instantly digested everything I ate or drank. I almost thought I had to go to the hospital. It took days and a lot of medicine to cure me.
I was in serious pain..
And:
Another time there was a bugs on my food and the waiter had the balls enough to try to convince me that it came from 'trees' and to just flick it off with his sleazy smug grin and crossed arms. The waiters clearly don't care about your health and laugh if you complain. They manage to try to convince you with incredibly lame excuses to eat your food and stop complaining that there's weird dirty things on your food.
Others comments from residents such as Michael indicate that they like Trellis.
i don't fully trust new york city restaurant inspectors, particularly in an area that is under gentrification pressures. i have eaten at trelli's for many years. it is a typical new york coffee shop, but it also has a neighborly feel that is increasingly rare in this city. i also would mention that the staff, most of whom are immigrants, are exceptionally hard working and friendly --- and they eat there all the time. Lighten up people.
And another reader appreciates the sense of community provided to the older residents:
... there are plenty of elderly and disabled people for whom a trip to the UES is pretty unreachable for a meal, and who would like to get out of the apartment rather than get food deliveries. Many regulars at Trellis use it to socialize as much as to eat.
I don't eat at Trellis often. When I've gone there I have always had a decent meal and service. I have spoken with the owner several times and he is aware there are those in the community with bad experiences and says he is doing his utmost to improve Trellis and provide the best food and service he can.

5 comments :

mushr00m said...

Trellis is kind of gross sometimes, but it holds memories and it is definitely a neighborhood place. And they are friendly, i remember that the guys who work the counter started out as delivery guys.

Anonymous said...

I eat there regularly, and believe it or not there are people who apparently eat there every day, maybe several times a day. Not a 4 star restaurant, and could use some competition, but it's adequate.

Anonymous said...

This is so sad. When they closed (the last time) i wrote an open letter to them and they never responded. i received a lot of positive feedback from my neighbors as they had felt exactly the same way. they reopened their doors as if nothing had happened and not one visible change has been made. they have the opportunity to have a flourishing business, but choose not to do anything, i can no longer feel sorry for them. rather i feel sorry for the residents of r.i. who deserve better.

Anonymous said...

Those of you who eat there every day should beckon the owner to refurbish the place. If he really cares about you the way he says in his ads in the WIRE, he'll do it. If you just protect him and not force him to do anything about it - he won't.

Anonymous said...

I have lived on RI for over 15 years and I agree that Trellis is in need of some drastic changes. The old staff is very friendly, but some of the newer staff is not so much. I find the staff to be particularly rude when you order take-out. Our best best is to order from Bel Air dinner in LIC.