Thursday, September 25, 2008

Manhattan Park Balcony Sought For Babysitting Plants and Containers


You Tube video of Plant Container Tips

A new Manhattan Park resident is seeking temporary storage space for her plants on a neighbor's balcony. She writes:
I'm moving to RI on Monday, September 30. The apartment from which I'm moving has a balcony but was I not able to get a balcony apt. at Manhattan Parks - yet.. I'm on the wait list for one. Meanwhile, I'm wondering if there is a RI resident who has a an empty balcony and who would want to "babysit" my outdoor plants. I don't care if the plants die. I would like to keep the containers and would prefer to have them outdoors. I'll pay a maintenance fee.
Apartment Therapy has some good tips on setting up your balcony for plants and other folding chars:
... One large and taller planter (or something built to fit the space) may be good to use in the trapezoid corners of the balcony, be a good anchor for the small pots, and help your plants overwinter better.
You may also want to go vertical with either hanging tomato planters(I've heard some varieties can actually do well in northern light) or something that will trail upwards (morning glories, squash) on a lattice or wire trellis against the wall space.
Plants and pots on balconies can freeze - but putting them on top of a blanket or a cushion of mulch when the weather gets cold, and also shielding them from wind and rain, will help them survive to come back next spring...

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Roosevelt Islander, I think it is about time to offer some kind of discussion fora on this site. Questions like these could be asked in a less formal manner that way.

ROOSEVELT ISLANDER said...

Thanks for the comment. I agree. I would love to have a forum feature on blog. To my knowledge, such a function is not yet available on blogger platform I use. If you have any suggestions as to how to implement a forum, I would be happy to try them out.