Monday, July 12, 2010

How Many RIOC Employees Does It Take To Paint A Roosevelt Island Lamp Post? The Answer May Be Different From What You See In Front Of Your Eyes

I recently received link to this You Tube video with a tantalizing subject heading of:

How Many RIOC Employees Does It Take To Paint A Lamppost?


The maker of this video reported:
I don't know how long this was in progress before I noticed it, and it took me a while to set up the camera.
Prior to posting the video, I inquired of Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. (RIOC) Vice President Fernando Martinez if he had any comment or explanation for what was seen on the video. Mr. Martinez replied:
I am very upset about what I saw in the video. Please give me some time to speak to the facilities supervisor.
I agreed not to immediately post and two days later I received this explanation from RIOC's Vice President of Planning & Government Affairs, Rosina Abramson:
... After checking, we're advised by RIOC grounds supervisor that the group of temporary seasonal employees (mostly school age) had just completed lunch hour and were dropped off (red truck) as a group to go to their next assignment which was painting 20 plus light poles in Light House Park. They waited for a colleague who was finishing up a pole on the East Seawall, then helped him gather his equipment and walked up to Light House Park where all the 20 plus lightpoles were repainted in one afternoon.
If Ms. Abramson's explanation is correct that the video does not accurately reflect the entirety of what is happening with these RIOC workers, hopefully that lesson will be remembered by those in RIOC responsible for monitoring the soon to be operational Roosevelt Island street security cameras. Specifically, don't jump to conclusions based on what is seen on a video without investigating the entire context of the event.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I found this clip enlightening.
and did not imagine that it would take 8 employees an afternoon to paint "20+" lamp posts.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it kind of obvious that this group was waiting on something? Why would anybody have any problems with what's showing on this video?

Anonymous said...

" Specifically, don't jump to conclusions based on what is seen on a video without investigating the entire context of the event. "

Okay. I'll buy that. I remember thinking I should note the time (it was mid-afternoon), and I didn't see anyone eating, but none of that is documented. Besides, I was always taught 1) to give benefit of doubt and 2) not to corner an adversary.

Basically, it seemed humorous to me. They may be school-age summer help, and that's fine -- but go-getters they ain't. I watched for a long time before I got the notion to film them.

Hey, I was a kid too. And was slack too. And may have gotten fired for it too. Waste is part of life, and civil service is purported to have more of it than private life.

But you're right, jumping to a conclusion is not appropriate. Taking in the sights and thinking "yep", is always appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Go get a job yourself. Why are you wasting your time videoing others working (or not)? You admit to being a "slacker" when you were younger, but if your wasting valuable time filming young Summer Employees, you obviously still are a "slacker".

ROOSEVELT ISLANDER said...

The person taking the video of public employees does not deserve any criticism for doing so.

Even RIOC's VP Of Operations was concerned enough after seeing the video to look into the matter and explain what was going on.

Anonymous said...

Or he just said that because you have this blog and he wants to make sure everything he tells you is correct.