Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Roosevelt Island Gallery RIVAA Pop Up Art Exhibition At Tata Innovation Center On Cornell Tech Campus - As The Footsteps Fall Paintings By Resident Ioan Popoiu Opening Reception Thursday May 2, You're Invited

Roosevelt Island's Gallery RIVAA will be hosting a pop up art gallery at the Tata Innvoation Center


in the first floor space on the Cornell Tech campus.

The first exhibition will feature the paintings of Roosevelt Island resident Ioan Popoiu with an opening reception tomorrow, Thursday, May 2 starting at 4 PM


According to Mr Popoiu:
... In my work I use the fluidity of the paint as a form of expression, which gives me the opportunity to explore freely and deeply into the universe of abstraction. I began working with fluids sometime in the 80’s, and I became more involved with it in the early 90’s. Even now it still captivates me. Every one of my works is an exploration of color and texture obtained by juxtaposition of many layers of paint and polymer. I like to develop my work by implementing the laws of nature. The shapes and forms in my paintings speak of my surroundings and they are related to the concepts of time and space. The structure and transparency obtained by overlapping multiple layers of color creates a 3-D effect creating a form of expression which is continuously changing.

In recent years I have used bright, fluorescent colors, perhaps as a response to a previous experience I had as a young artist in my native country, Romania. When I first visited the region of Maramures, I was fascinated by the powerful originality of its folk art. People there use very bright colors as a form of expression of their positive vision of life....
Gallery RIVAA, located at 527 Main Street, recently lost it's annex gallery space at the Octagon Building so having a second space, though temporary, is a positive for local Roosevelt Island artists.

0 comments :