Monday, October 5, 2009

Remembering Long Time Roosevelt Island Resident Archie Seale

Image of Archie Seale From Main Street WIRE

RIOC President Steve Shane's September 25 Message recognized the death of long time Roosevelt Island resident Archie Seale:
On a sad note, Archie Seale, long time resident, political activist and proprietor of the Grog Shop, passed away last weekend. His twinkle and smile will be missed.
Mr. Seale's friend and fellow Roosevelt Island resident JM Shea wrote the following tribute to her friend:
Please let us all remember Archie Seale, long time owner of the Grog Shop.

He was a true light and leader on this little Island for years.

Our Family first came to know him and his shop in 1982, when we moved here from Yorkville.

I have so many fond memories of Archie, always smiling, fighting hard for this Community, great Political Activist.

My Beloved Parents, Eleanor and Jerry Shea knew him well as did myself, Jean and my sister, Janet.

He became like a Second Dad to us, in that he was always watching out for us after we lost our Dad over ten years ago.

He always had a smile on his face and I loved to go into his shop and just talk to him.

I still see myself, an early twenty something, brand new to my new special Island home on my Haven of Roosevelt Island, sitting on the curb-where the Red bus used to stop. I was waiting to go do my laps in the large pool at Sportspark.

He helped also watch over my parents, Eleanor when she got sick with Alzheimer's and our Dad, after we lost our Mom.

I will never, ever forget him.

I miss him so much already, but I know he is in Heaven with the Lord, now.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and close friends.

I will be at his Memorial Service later today at 11:00am at the Good Shepard Church.

I will still be looking for him walking up Main St. to his home in Rivercross.
There was a death in my family recently as well. One thing I learned, which is something we all know but often ignore, is to tell those people you care about how important they are to you and that they are loved.

0 comments :