Friday, June 10, 2011

Torrential Rain Storm Yesterday Caused Gully Washer On Roosevelt Island's Riverwalk Commons - Did You Get Soaked Too?

Hey, did you get stuck in last night's torrential rain storm or did you miss it?

Roosevelt Island resident Jason Eng shares this picture of the runoff from the rain coming down the slope of the Riverwalk Commons towards the F Train Subway Station and comments:

It's a gully washer!
Image From Jason Eng

I was not quite sure what a "Gully Washer" was so I looked it up. According to weather.com, a Gully Washer is:
A heavy rain shower that occurs suddenly, possibly creating a flash flood.
For Roosevelt Island, that's what we got last night - a Gully Washer. I got absolutely soaked as I made a mad dash home from the subway station up the Riverwalk Commons sidewalk through the Gully Washer but I am glad that the storm cooled things down a bit from yesterday's very, very, very hot weather.

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

WOW - that's a beautiful photo! Love it! Gully washer, eh? Well, I guess those gullys were kinda dirty, so they probably needed washing! ;)