Thursday, June 15, 2023

RIOC Hosting Roosevelt Island Pride Flag Raising Ceremony Friday June 16 At Blackwell House - More Roosevelt Island Pride Events During Week Of June 26 to July 2 Celebrating Local Queer Community, All Are Welcome

According to the Roosevelt Island Operating Corp (RIOC): 

To mark Pride Month, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation will be hosting a special flag raising ceremony this Friday June 16th at 11AM in front of Blackwell House (500 Main Street). Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation President Shelton Haynes will be joined by members of the Roosevelt Island LGBTQIA+ community to raise the Pride flag in celebration of island inclusivity and tolerance.

“Every year we proudly raise Pride flags across the island during the month of June, but this year we wanted to do something more to show our collective support for the LGBTQIA+ community on the island,” said RIOC President and CEO Shelton Haynes. “LGBTQIA+ rights are under attack across the country, and we need to show publicly that RIOC is always committed to supporting love and acceptance for all of our island’s residents. I’m really looking forward to this event and encourage everyone who has the time to join us this Friday morning in solidarity.”

The Pride flag raising ceremony is free and open to all members of the community. 


 Roosevelt Island resident and artist Thom Heyer adds:

I am SO thankful for ALL the staff at our local Roosevelt Island library! Kayleigh Salstrand, our children's librarian, recently asked me if I would create a mural on the blackboard of the children's library room to celebrate LGBTQ+ PRIDE Month. 

I was delighted to do this and to help create a safe place for kids and their diverse families to just discuss the options of what "different" can actually be. When I was a little kid I was different. I didn't have examples that affirmed that I was actually OK. I also didn't live in an environment that allowed me to discuss the infinite possibilities of what OK actually IS. 

 I'm honored to be able to help create a safe space for this kind of dialogue and I am thankful for ALL our Library staff who help do this EVERY DAY!............I LOVE being an Adult Gay Man....."Happy PRIDE ya'll!"

Check out the various Roosevelt Island Pride events during the week of June 26 - July 2

on the Roosevelt Island Calendar of Community Events.

0 comments :